Sunday, November 30, 2008

this year it is is this one, last year it was that...


The last two years, more than the years before, I have had a specific song play over and over in situations that would later become important.

Last year it was the song at the end of this post. Those times are another story entirely. This post is for the moments so far concerning the video above...

There is a radio station out here that considers itself indie, and apparently that just means they don't come in very well. (I'm kidding, they are really good, but their reception is shit.) I heard the song one night driving my car, or Stephanie's car, I don't remember. A few days later the video was on the "on demand" part of our cable box and I watched it 10-12 times. (It is on repeat as I type this, to put me in the mood.)

I've had some rough spots the last 2 months. I don't document them even though I would like to. Long story short, I am where I want to be, and a good portion of the people I surround myself with are not. Believe me, I wish I could, but I can't. I feel like Island Girl.

My loneliest nights and days have had this song attached. Some of the worst thing said to me have had this song attached.

I am both sides of this song. I am neither. I am this song. I am not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's funny about that is that this is the only Death Cab For Cutie song written in the past 5 years that I can tolerate. I even like it a bit.

Sorry, that wasn't funny at all.

I was reminded when you invited me to stateline the other night that we don't hang out enough.

It's 4 in the morning, and I'm wearing a tie. I bet neither of us thought that we would be where are.

~Dan

Anonymous said...

*where we are. Le sigh.

Anonymous said...

I feel like me too. We have so much in common.

Amelia