Friday, February 29, 2008

5:30, millions of things to say, but how?

i participated in a small celebration for someone born on leap day. They are 24 years old. They are also six, technically. In the course of the evening I was quoted poetry, given free drinks, and harassed for my life decisions. To say to someone that you will regret a choice you made in 5 years is easy. Life changes dramatically in 5 years. But to be attacked (barely) for deciding to do something about the happiness in your life? Whatever. Live and let learn. Live and let die. The list of things that other people think I will regret in five years (or in some cases less) is a very long list. Add your entry. Thank you for your input. Your opinion will be considered. I don't want to say it, let alone think it, but that same list you are carrying around in your pocket probably makes it hard to walk upright, maybe? At least at times I try, even if I have a tendency to fail.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you will regret in 5 years--hell, I don't know what I will regret (though I suspect getting my labia pierced is gonna be up there). I do know that other people frequently feel the need to quarterback the lives of others because it is a convenient excuse for them to never really play--like fantasy football. C'est la vie, or as Schopenhauer would say, "fuck 'em".

Dan

Anonymous said...

Surely something even more dramatic took place before the piercing of your labia, Dan?

I have no piercings of that nature. I have one piercing in each ear. Anything more and I would regret it, but that's just me. I can't wait to hear from other regulars at this blog.

I do think you might regret going home so soon, but it's up to you of course. You know what's right for you.

ImPerceptible said...

I don't regret attending four different colleges in under five years before I decided college wasn't my thing.

I don't regret getting married when I was barely old enough to drink legally.

I don't regret having my children and staying home when all my friends were climbing the corporate ladder.

I regret letting people make me think I'd regret it. I wasted (and sometimes still waste) too much time worrying about what I'd regret and what others would think of me.

Life is about making mistakes. As long as you find a balance between respecting others and respecting your needs you won't have any(many) regrets.

As for Chicago, it's not going anywhere.

ImPerceptible said...

That would be it's not going anywhere, it'll be there tommorrow. Not it's useless. :)

Anonymous said...

But what about your piercings?

Frowning Bill said...

I personally have four (4) prince alberts that form a neat little row. They go well with my gooch piercing which makes riding horses difficult. I want to make a prince albert in a can or a spotted dick joke for our UK friends but alas I cannot.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying my opinion will be considered. But my opinion really doesn't count.
Whose life is this anyway? You make choices and sometimes you regret them.
Better that, than not making a decision and regretting your non-action. Life really is shorter than we think it will be. Go for the happy where you can.

ImPerceptible said...

I'm a little scared of Bill.

Anonymous said...

I just realized that it's not my labia that's pierced, as I don't seem to have one of those. Hence, there's a medical grade barbell in my chode.

Huh.

Dan