Wednesday, May 23, 2007

it's not so much the doom but rather the impending part that keeps me up

I realized last night that I am pretty bad with first impressions. Not the ones I give, but the ones I get. I am usually loud/drunk/honest enough when I first meet people for them to know exactly what they are getting into. Sometimes I can be a little shy, but usually melts away fairly fast. I'm just not a very good judge of character.

That's wrong.

I am a pretty good judge of character, but a poor judge of personality. I'll meet you and fairly quickly know if I would loan you money or tell you how to get to my house or if I'd be a reference on an application. I seem to gloss over (or not pay any attention to) the personality traits that within the next few interactions jump out and surprise the shit out of me. For example:

Me: "I agree, you should take him home with you"
Person: "I'm celibate"
Me: "Your celibate!"

See? Oh, you don't? Let me explain.

It was a sunday night in a bar. The person was an underage girl. She had a shirt/dress from the set of Laugh-In and cowboy boots. No underage girl in a bar on a sunday night is celibate. Especially if she's in cowboy boots. It didn't occur to me that she might be crazy.

But she was. And she is. And I want to hang out with her.

Yeah, I know. Bill and I thought she stole the cookie sheet from our house. You don't accuse people of that sort of thing unless its possible. And I still want to hang out with her.

I hope I don't, but if I do, I deserve whatever happens.

A Booth and his money will soon be parted.

That's how that saying goes, right?

0 comments: