Monday, June 18, 2007

on holidays, at best


Last night some of my favorite people with dicks (see: dudes) sat around a table in my backyard. We talked about our girlfriends, our conquests, our livers, our jobs, our music, our lives. We drank Old Fashioneds and PBR. We smoked cigarettes. (Even me, just one, for the first time in a couple of years.) It was a perfect ending to the holiday that was father's day. None of us are fathers, yet. But when it happens I hope we still have evenings like this.

I have a fairly large fear of ending up like my parents, socially. They had a large group of friends, did all sorts of fun things together, had parties, all of it. Most them had kids too. But as the years went on everyone went away. There were no more parties at our house, no more nights staying up with the adults, and, eventually, no more marriage. I hope we don't end up like them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i like the (see: dudes) thing. it made me wonder if you've ever listened to "The History of the United States of America" by Stan Freberg.

Anonymous said...

Some of my favourite people have dicks too. It's all good.

Anonymous said...

Oops, grammar dictates that I should have left out the 'too'.

I don't have one!

God almighty.

Anonymous said...

My God I just can't stop commenting! Tie my hands together!

Anyway, I have TAGGED ya, for some MeMe lovin'!